All our photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission.
Picture ID: 74143573 – Standard license – Depositphotos
How do you figure out what everyone wants to eat at your gatherings? One of the most challenging parts about entertaining is coming up with meals that everyone will enjoy. Sometimes it comes to mind to ask everyone to carry a dish and call it a day, but the entertainer in me will not have it. Whether it is the holiday season, a simple house party, or a family gathering, you will find that this challenge still arises.
While you could come up with the everyday favorites or traditional meals for the occasion, you may feel the need to change things up a bit now and then. A pro tip that I discovered years ago is choosing simple, quickly prepared but flavorful and appealing meals. As complicated as that sounds, it does narrow down our options by a great deal. One of these dishes is the one that I will be looking at today.
This is the baked Camembert recipe. This meal is healthy, can be ready in approximately 20 minutes, and something everyone will enjoy. It is almost unbelievable how easy this meal is to prepare; and how much flavor you can find in these simple ingredients: walnuts, maple syrup, berries, and cheese. Whatever you are craving and whatever the size of your appetite is. You will find that this dish will hit the spot and prepare you for what else is to come later on in your meal.
You can efficiently serve up to 10 people with this dish without batting an eye. My favorite cracker to use along with this meal is Mary’s Organic Cracker. They are crunchy, healthy, gluten-free, non-GMO, whole-grain, and vegan. If you do not have these, you can, of course, use your favorite crackers as a substitute.
Anything with a little crunch should work just fine. If you are not a fan of crackers, some flatbread, a few slices of baguette, or crispbread should do.
As much As I want to experiment and try a cinnamon bagel with this recipe, I would not encourage you to do the same; unless you are as adventurous as I am.
When you try this recipe, please share it so your family here can know how the dish turned out. You can always double the recipe to get more if you think you will need it. And with the sweet pears and creamy cheese, you will surely need some extra. Have some fun with this Baked Camembert with Caramelized Pears and creamy cheese.
This recipe is French, and all this gooey goodness can be made gluten-free if you so desire. A little substitute in ingredients here and there, and you should be all set. Let us now start working on this gooey delight.
Baked Camembert with Caramelized Pears
- 1 or 8 oz/250g cheese - round camembert
- 1 tbsp or 15 ml hazelnuts or slivered almonds sliced and toasted
- Caramelized Pear
- 2 tsp or 10 ml butter
- 1 shallot sliced thin
- One large pear sliced thin
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- ¼ cup or 60 ml pear concentrate or juice
- 1 tbsp or 15 ml pear juice or brandy
- 2 tsp or 10 ml chopped fresh thyme
- ½ tsp or 5 ml packed brown sugar
- Preheat a nonstick skillet on medium heat, add butter and melt; fry the shallot, pear, salt, and pepper until the shallot is soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add pear juice/concentrate, brandy, thyme, and sugar; bring to a boil. While boiling, stir the mixture occasionally until the liquid dissolves and the pear is softened about 3-6 minutes. (Make-ahead: Let cool. Refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 24 hours.)
- Place camembert on a foil-lined pie plate or in a small cake pan; top with pear mixture.
- preheat the oven and stick to a temperature of 180ºC/350ºF/Gas 4 (fan oven 160C)
- Bake in a 350°F oven until the cheese is soft, approximately 10 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. You can sprinkle it with hazelnuts/almonds