All our photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission.
Picture ID: 209452024 – Standard license – Depositphotos
We cannot talk about meals or dishes, whether primary or rare, without talking about salads, you always find them storming into any meal, and the strange thing is that this rule applies in most parts of the earth. In Asia, where food is heavily based on rice and noodles, vegetables and salads are an essential part of their meals.
We pass to Europe and North America to find the same vegetables, even if the method of preparation differs somehow, they are added to various types classic dishes, modern dishes, occasional food, and also home or regular school meals. We clearly see salad as an integral part of our daily table.
Our words today speak of a unique form and a distinctive type of salads, Heirloom Tomato Basil Salad, and as its name indicates, it pivots principally on tomatoes and basil.
Tomato is one of the most useful vegetables for health because it contains various vitamins and minerals your body needs and it carries a slightly pungent taste which some have proven to increase appetite while eating.
But let me mention what is distinctive here, the basil, it adds a distinct smell and taste to this dish and you might forget that it is a side dish and just have as a main meal!
Heirloom Tomato Basil Salad
- 2 to 3 heirloom tomatoes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
- Cut tomatoes in slices in thickness of choice. Place on a large plate or in a bowl and drizzle olive oil and balsamic over tomatoes. Use the amount you like, some like more some like less so use according to your liking. You can always use less and add more. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Store in refrigerator for about 30 minutes and before serving sprinkle freshly chopped basil over tomatoes. Serve and enjoy by themselves or as a side dish.