I can’t think of anyone who wouldn’t benefit from a combination pressure cooker/air fryer. There are hundreds of brands out there but the Ninja Foodi has been are hugely popular. It makes you wonder if it’s more than just hype.
This article examines the Ninja Foodi 7-in-1 Multi-Cooker. I’ll give you an in depth review and at the end you can determine if it’s right for you.
Here’s what I’ll cover in the article:
- Ninja Foodi 7-in-1 Multi-Cooker design and feel
- KPI analysis
Continue reading to see to find out more!
Why You Should Trust Us
We want our readers to choose the best products, so we write reviews based on our experience, experts we’ve consulted and a deep analysis of what other purchasers have said. We tested Ninja-Foodi 7-in-1 air fryer for hours, challenging all the claims that were made by the brand.
We’ve tested many other air fryers and eaten enough zucchini, French fries, and chicken wings to determine how this appliance compares to the others.
We also analysed over 1,000 Amazon reviews of the Foodi Multi-Cooker.
What is the Ninja Foodi Air Fryer?
The Ninja Foodi 7-in-1 Multi-Cooker is essentially an air fryer that pressure cooks and can perform other cooking functions that you would usually need separate appliances for. It makes complex meals, sides, snacks, and desserts quickly and easily with the touch of a few buttons. Some of its functions are to pressure cook, air fry, slow cook, steam, bake/roast, sear/sauté, and grill. It also has TenderCrisp technology. This ensures food is tender on the inside and crisp on the outside while cooking 70% faster than traditional methods.
This model is really heavy and takes up a lot of counter space. Consider how much counter space you have before buying this product. It would be a pain to lift and store it after each use. I love that the side handles give a nice grip. This model comes with a ceramic coated pot and air fryer basket that are both dishwasher safe. I am not a fan of the crisper lid design, just because it can’t be removed and stays awkwardly open if you’re using the pressure cooker lid.
Also included is a reversible grid for grilling meat and steaming vegetables, a cook & crisp basket of 3.6 liters for cooking and crisping a 2 kilogram (4.4lb) whole chicken and 1.1 kilograms (2.4lb) of French fries, and a 6-liter cooking pot. The pressure lid (for pressure cooking, slow cooking, and steaming) and crisping lid are included (which is for crisping and grilling food).
The reversible rack is great for keeping food close to the bottom of the pan or at the top. It’s also useful for cooking two things at once.
Apart from the fact that it is large and heavy, it feels quite good to use, particularly the controls, which are divided into sections clearly labelled for different functions. If you’re a shorter person or your counter top is unusually high, it might feel awkward to lift the pot or basket from the air fryer. The control panel gets smudged by fingerprints so I would have liked if it had a glossy finish to prevent that.
About Ninja Brand
SharkNinja Operating LLC, a pioneer in small household appliances and cleaning solutions that fit the lifestyles of busy people all over the world, created Ninja®, one of several house-care brands. SharkNinja has quickly carved out a significant market share in the housewares industry by providing highly functional, innovative products, becoming one of the sector’s leading companies. SharkNinja had its beginnings in Montreal, Canada, and has since relocated to Needham, Massachusetts. Mark Rosenzweig is the SharkNinja Founder and is well-known as the face of the company.
How Do Air Fryers Work Anyway?
To begin with, you would place your food in a non-stick, perforated basket that has small holes. When the appliance is turned on, a heating element on the top of the cooking chamber heats up the air. The hot air is blown in a rapid, circular motion by the fan located above the heating element. The air then passes over your food with concentrated, radiant heat, cooking it evenly from all sides and removing moisture. This results in food that is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside (without the need for oil). Yes, no oil, so you can eat your French fries without worrying about those extra calories! At least that’s what Ninja claims. A little fat actually helps with taste and texture.
How we tested it?
We wanted to run the air fryer through its paces by utilizing the different functions. We ended up testing all functions of the appliance: pressure cooking, air fry, slow cook, steam, sear/sauté, bake/roast and grill. We tested it based on ease of use, versatility, the flavour of the meals and duration.
What we tested?
Chicken wings – We took 0.6 kilograms of chicken wings and chicken legs, and we air fried them, which took about 35 minutes. When air frying, we found that it was a bit noisy but nothing that’s unbearable. The wings were tender, and the skin was crispy, not to mention delicious. Baking, on the other hand, took about 40 minutes at a temperature of 400°F. The wings were crispy, and they tasted good.
Frozen Fries – We took 0.2 kilograms of frozen fries and air-fried them for about 20 minutes. It was no surprise that the fries were evenly browned and crispy. I can attest to the claim that the Ninja Air Fryer produces excellent fries.
White Sandwich Bread– We used the reversible grid for the grilling. It took about 3 minutes for each side. If it were a square air fryer, more slices of bread could hold in the basket. The bread had a good color but the toaster like crunch just wasn’t there. When it comes to toast, I would rather use an actual toaster.
Vegetables (carrots, Zucchini, eggplant): Vegetables did not take a long time to cook and came out tender on both the pressure cooker function and the steam function. There was not much difference other than the pressure cooker function taking longer. Fun fact: The Ninja Foodi 7-in-1 Multi-Cooker can keep food warm for up to twelve hours after cooking. It actually does work!
The pressure cooker arrived quickly after we ordered it, and unpacking and assembly were simple for such a large machine. The device’s intuitive features, such as having the functions on the interface light up when their respective lid is in use, impressed me.
When you use the pressure cooker, you plug it in and select the desired cooking mode. It has the ability to pressurize, steam, simmer, sear, and roast. There are numerous functions to choose from so when you think about it, it would reduce both cooking and clean up time. With this one device, I could prepare a variety of meals that would normally require two or more separate appliances . Cleaning up afterward was simple because the tank and compartments were easily washable.
Key Performance Factors
- Control – Based on our testing – 9/10
The controls were easy to use and well-designed. The spacing of each button, as well as the clearly marked sections, made it simple to navigate the controls. I liked the display which was brightly lit and told us everything that was going on while we were using it.
For example, it showed “pot” on the display when I forgot to put the pot in the air fryer, prompting me to do so. The light on the display also does a rotating animation when the pressure cooker function is activated. It really means that the air fryer is building pressure before it starts the cooking count down.
It’s also worth noting that the buttons light up based on what you’re doing. For example, if you are pressure cooking, the pressure-cooking icon will light up to remind you that you are doing so. Also, the functions on the panel light up based on whether you are using the crisping lid or pressure lid. Functions such as pressure, steam, slow cook and sear will light up to you if you are using the pressure lid and functions like air crisp, bake and broil will light up if you are using the crisping lid.
- Noise – Based on our testing – 8/10
I found that with the Foodi, it was noisier to air fry than when I turned on the pressure-cook function. This is unavoidable knowing how air fryers work. In short, a fan is used to suck air into the air fryer, which is then heated up and afterwards circulated through the basket. The air would then exit through the exhausts at the back. This causes us to hear noise when we air fry. It is also worthy to note that with Foodi, the noise will build up over time.
The maximum noise that the Foodi produces is tolerable however and is comparable to a hair dryer. Though we say it is tolerable, we are aware that the amount of noise that a particular person can tolerate will vary.
To have an idea of how loud it gets when running, our colleague Tim has made this testing video for you.
The beeping sounds are also tolerable. It doesn’t occur with every action you do, only when opening the lid or pressing the function buttons. We thought that score we gave was reasonable given that air fryers at this current stage need to make some noise to function.
- Cleaning – Based on our testing – 7/10
The components such as the pot are ceramic-coated and non-stick, making it easy to clean. So, if you are doing macaroni and cheese—which is a messy affair— there is no need to worry because it will just slide right off. The pressure lid can be cleaned with warm soapy water, but the crisping lid might be tricky to clean since it is attached to the appliance. The exterior will be simple to clean; simply wipe it down with a cloth but I use a small flexible brush to get residue from behind the grate.
Dishwasher-safe accessories include the removable cooking pot, silicone ring, reversible rack, and cook and crisp basket. Those were a breeze to clean.
- Cooking – Based on our testing – 9/10
Now, down to the “meat of the matter”, pun intended. Cooking was simple and efficient. You could make an entire meal in one go which helps to shorten overall cooking time. Keep in mind that if certain components were missing, you couldn’t begin cooking—it wouldn’t let you. The cooking pot has to be in the air fryer for functions like pressure cooking. For complex meals like steak and potatoes, or food that have long cooking times like pulled pork, this air fryer would be great. You just time it and leave it.
One of my concerns was that the steam from the pressure cooking would hit the non-removable crisping lid, but the crisping lid was positioned away from where the steam would be released, so it worked out fine.
This product has flaws like any other product. These are:
- Large and bulky: With measurements like 43 x 36 x 32 centimeters, you can expect that you’re going to get something huge in your kitchen. So, make sure you have enough counter space. It’s not a deal breaker if you’re planning to replace other single function appliances with this air fryer.
- Heavy: Coming in at 11 kilograms (24lbs), you might need to put your back into this one. Therefore, we recommend finding a permanent place for it in your kitchen.
- Crisping lid cannot be removed: You might want to check if you have enough overhead space on your counter because when you are pressure-cooking, the crisping lid needs to stay up.
- Warranty – A one year warranty for a pricey appliance such as this is very disappointing. Especially because Ninja will charge you a return fee if you ask them to repair or replace your model.
Amazon reviews analysis
The air fryer has over 28000 favorable reviews and over 1140 negative reviews. I found that the overall opinion of the customers was that they loved the product.
Pros and cons reported by customers over amazon
- Easy and intuitive to use controls: Many reviewers commented on how easy the controls are to use and how responsive the buttons are. They also stated that the device will alert you if you attempt to utilize the wrong setting with the wrong lid.
- It is versatile: Some reviewers have said that it is versatile, supporting a wide variety of meals. This product was given 4.5 out of 5 stars for its versatility.
- Flavor of meals: Reviewers have also expressed that the taste was good, with some saying that foods that were air fried actually tasted like fried food.
- Air fryer lid is permanently attached: Some reviewers remarked that because the air fryer cover is attached, it will be a disadvantage if you don’t have overhead room.
- Slow cooker too slow: Some reviewers have said that the slow cooker took too long and that their food came out raw.
- It is too heavy: Many reviewers have also said that it is very heavy, and they are not wrong. With a weight of 11 kilograms (24.3 lbs.), it certainly is a heavy one.
- It is very large: Majority of the reviews—positive or negative—have one thing in common, it is too large. Some of the users have said that because of its size, it is difficult to store.
There are numerous competitors for the Ninja Foodi 7-in-1 Multi-Cooker. The Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Pressure Cooker, which is smaller, easier to clean, and has a range of safety features that are great for growing families, is one of the best. Because both lids are completely removable and most of the cooking programs are touch buttons, the Instant Pot Duo Crisp may be slightly easier to use. It’s also less bulky than the Ninja Foodi, making it easier to store.
We also have the Ultrean Air Fryer (4.2 Quart), which is ideal for college students and couples. It is also quite light, weighing only 3.4 kilograms (7.4). These two cookers, as well as a few others, are comparable to the Ninja Foodi 7-in-1 Multi-Cooker.
- Is the Instant Pot Air Fryer Worth Buying? In-Dept Review Guide
- Best Air Fryer Toaster Ovens In 2022
- Ninja Foodi Air Fryer – The Ultimate Review Guide
- Is the Cosori Air Fryer Worth Buying? An In-Depth Review
- Is Gourmia Air Fryer Any Good? An In-Depth Review
- Instant Vortex Air Fryer: Is It Worth the Money?
- Gourmia vs. Instant Pot Air Fryer: Key Performance Factors Analyzed
- Cosori vs Instant Vortex: Which Air Fryer Is Better?
- Cosori vs Instant Pot: Which Air Fryer Is Better?
- Ninja Foodi vs. Cosori Air Fryer: 11 Key Differences
- Cosori Air Fryer vs. Gourmia: What’s the Difference?
- Gourmia vs Ninja Foodi: Which Air Fryer Is Better?
- Gourmia vs Instant Vortex Air Fryer: Key Performance Factors Compared
- Ninja Foodi vs Instant Vortex: Which Air Fryer is Better?